Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Week 01 (05.14-05.21)

Hey everyone!

Hope the beginning of your summer is going well…so far mine is going great. I’ve been in China for a little over a week now and there has been no shortage of excitement. Door to door it took us about 24 hours to get from LA to Beijing, Beijing to Nanjing and then finally to our apartments. Sounds pretty bad but I guess I didn’t mind it.

I’ve come to the conclusion in the past few days that China is crazy! I guess I’ll start with the food. We have been eating the weirdest shit! Our first meal we had black snake, some interesting spiked white fish, and some other shit that was unlike anything I’d ever seen in my life. Since then we’ve had eel a couple times, dried duck blood soup, these eggs that they buried in the ground for a year and then fed us raw, some weird duck liver pastries for breakfast, jelly fish soup, pigeon…and the list goes on. You may not believe this but it all tasted just fine. The best part about the entire situation is, the food is totally cheep! I took out 200 Yuen ($25) the first day we were here and it lasted me about three days which is weird because I was spending quite extravagantly. I played for a huge dinner the second night for 6 of my friends and it cost me $9 with beer and everything. My lunch today cost $.75. Its soooooo cheep!!!!!!!

Besides the food, everything’s about the same…hahha! Wait, no its not. I was at the hospital today (don’t worry, I was their for a friend) and it was the most surreal experience of the entire trip. As I sat in the waiting room, waiting for my friend to finish his appointment, I took the chance to observe the interesting group of people which surrounded me. (Mom, you’ll appreciate this) I watched as a woman repeatedly hocked up phlegm and spit it on the floor in front of her, an act I’ve recently learned is very common throughout the country. As this was going on, an elderly man was chain smoking, numerous men walked around carrying their catheter bag in one hand and their penis in the other, and an enraged elderly man yelled at the nurses. To say the least, it was an eventful morning.

While getting acclimated to the city we’ve also been doing quite a bit of school work and exploring. Our project, in a nut shell, is basically an excursive in urban documentation/research and development which we are doing with a partner from Woodbury and a couple partners from the university in Nanjing we are studying at. I don’t really have anything to show yet, but as soon as I do I’ll post it. I hope it turns out good!

Anyway, I’ll do my best to continue posting information and pictures on this blog as often as I can so that everyone can check out what I’m doing. Feel free to E-mail me any time or leave a comment on this blog. To leave a coment just go to the bottom of the page, select "comment" and start typing. I’d love to hear from all of you. Hope you like the pics.


chinese + American students after our first dinner in China
View of Nanjng from Purple Mountain


New housing blocks on our site in Nanbuting


Cipea's Starchitecture construction site


Zhonghua Gate (1366)

3 comments:

Jason King said...

The food IS crazy. Try having your balls felt up with a translator in the room.

valerie said...

Hello Brice,
Wow! I don't know if I would be able to eat very much. Just reading what you have been eating makes my stomach a little queasy. Very interesting culture. I am very impressed that you have been eating so many different foods. Good for you. I don't think I would want to work at that hospital. Is it clean? Gotta go. Take care, love mom

LaURa said...

Hey! Finally leaving a note! Your stories just get more interesting don't they?! It's a shame the weather isn't so great, but it's not cold though right? The pics have turned out ok by the looks of it, they still look great. I'm mega jealous of all the food you're trying! Bet you can't wait to get skool work out of the way to explore! Time's going quickly here, can't wait until you arrive! I'm very excited to hear about it all and see all of your photos!
Take care sweety. Speak soon! muah xxx